What a year 2014 has been for Mater Dei boys’ basketball coach, Gary McKnight. Like never before, if there was a prestigious coach of the year award to be presented, it seemed like McKnight was there to accept it. Roll the tape…
- Morgan Wooten Award *for lifetime achievement in coaching high school basketball by the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame
- Naismith Boys’ National Coach of the Year
- MaxPreps National Coach of the Year *for all sports
- MaxPreps Boys’ Basketball Coach of the Year
- National High School Coaches Association (NHSCA) National Boys’ Basketball Coach of the Year
- CIF State Coach of the Year
- CIF-SS Open Division Coach of the Year
And the 2014 good fortune probably does not end there. McKnight, with a 995-85 (.921 winning percentage) career coaching record, will most likely notch his 1,000 career win sometime in the month of December. Stay tuned.
Rick Martinez was recently named the inaugural 2014 boys’ track and field state coach of the year by the U.S. Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association. Martinez led the Monarchs last spring to both section and state championships, the first such titles in boys’ track and field in school history.
The Gold Standard
Mater Dei’s Katie Lou Samuelson (Class of 2015) spent the past summer helping Team USA’s U17 squad win the FIBA World Championships in the Czech Republic. The United States beat Spain in the gold-medal game, 77-75. Samuelson led her team in scoring, averaging just under 14 points per game during the event and was one of two Americans named to the five-member all-tournament team. Samuelson recently committed to the University of Connecticut.
Philip Bellomo, Director of Athletics